translate in your language

Monday, December 13, 2010

MODAL AUXILIARIES ( 14 )








                              CHAPTER-28


274. >) May,..might;
        >) Can,..could
        >) shall,..should
        >) will,..would
        >) must,..ought,..need,..dare,used , are called Modal Auxiliaries because they
            are used to form certain moods for which English has no inflected verb
            forms.We can  express such conceptions of the mind as
           
           *) ability         (e.g.,with can,could).
           *) possibility  (e.g.,with may,might).
           *) permission (e.g.,with may,might,can ,could) and
           *) obligation   (e.g.,with must,ought,have to).

       We shall now consider the use of the Modal Auxiliaries one by one.

                        *) MAY,MIGHT

275. May as a principal Verb is used to denote :--

(1) permission;as,
      >) May i go out?May I come in?yes,you may.
      >) May i borrow your toothbrush?No,you may not.
      >) You may go now.[=You are permitted to go now.]
      >) He may go tomorrow.
      >) If he wished he might go tomorrow.
      >) If he had wished he might have gone yesterday.
      >) He may not go now.[=I will not let him go now.]
      >) Members may not(=are not permitted to) borrow from the library more
           than two books at a time.
      >) He might not go tomorrow unless you wished.
      >) He might enter the college next year.

(2) Possibility;as,
      >) It may rain tonight [=It is possible that it will rain tonight.]
      >) It may be true.       [=It is possibly true.]
      >) He may be away from home tomorrow.
      >) He may come today.
      >) She may pass if she works hard.
      >) Kamla may win the first prize in English.
      >) If I ask her again,she may refuse.
      >) I was afraid that if I asked her again,she might refuse.
      >) He might not have come even if we had asked him.

276. May and might are used in questions.

       >) May I trouble you to pass the salt?
       >) Might I borrow your pen a minute?

           Might(but not may) is used to make requests.
       >) You might make a little less noise.
           [=Please make a little less noise.]

277. May as an Auxiliary Verb is used to express :--

(1) A wish;as
      >) May you have a happy and long life !
      >) May God bless you !
      >) May fortune smile upon you!
      >) May you have a good time !

(2) A purpose;as,
     >) We eat that we may live.
     >) They died that we might live.
     >) He flatters that he may win favour.
     >) I stepped aside so that she might go in.
     >) We put up a fence so that the neighbours might not overlook us.

278. Might is sometimes used to express reproach :--
        >) You might tell me the truth.
        >) You might have told me the truth.

                *) CAN,COULD

279. Can is used as a Principal Verb to express :--

(1) Power or ability;as,
     >) I can speak English. [=I am able to speak English.]
     >) He can work with this machine.
     >) He can outdo every competitor.
     >) I can beat you in the race.
     >) He is over eighty but can still read without glasses.
     >) He is ten years old but can't read yet.
     >) Can you write English?No,I can't.
     >) Even as a child she could sing well.
     >) The box was so heavy that I couldn't lift it.
     >) He could write English before he came to school.
     >) I could write the letter in English if I wanted to.
     >) I could have written the letter in English if I had wanted to.
     >) I could not write English before i came to school.

    Can is also used to denote ability resulting from circumstances.
       >) Can you come (=Are you in a position to come) to the meeting tomorrow?
       >) can you lend me ten shillings?
           [=Are you in a position to lend me ten shillings?]

(2) permission;as,
     >) You can go now.[=You are permitted to go now.]
     >) Stop!You can't do that![=Are you not allowed or permitted to do that.]
     >) You can't play hockey in that park today!It's Sunday.
     >) Can I go to the cinema tonight?No,you can't.
     >) Can I see your telephone directory?
     >) Could you lend me five pounds for a week?
     >) Could I have that dictionary,please?

                    *) MUST

280. Must is used to express :--

(1) Compulsion or strong moral obligation;as,
      >) We must keep our promises.
      >) We must obey the laws of the country.
      >) We must not tell lies.
      >) You must not make a noise in the class.
      >) You must do as you are told.
      >) Soldiers must obey orders without question.
      >) Candidates must(=are required to)answer at least five out of the ten
           questions.
      >) Cars must not be parked in front of the  gate.
          [ here must not is used to express prohibition.]

(2) Fixed determination;as,
      >) I must have my money back.
      >) I must surrender myself to her whims.
      >) I must have my say in this matter.

(3) Duty;as,
     >) A judge must be upright.
     >) Everyone must do his duty.
     >) A soldier must fight for his country.

(4) Certainty or strong likelihood;as,
     >) He must be up by this time.
     >) He must have reached home by this time.
     >) Your father must be nearly eighty now.
     >) They must have missed the train.
     >) You must be hungry after your long walk.
     >) They must have been enjoying themselves.

(5) Inevitability;as,
     >) We must all die.

            *) USES OF SHALL

281. In Assertive Sentences,Shall in the first person  simply gives information
        about the future action;as

       >) I shall help you.We shall go together.
       >) I shall be sixteen on Monday.
       >) I shall be rewarded.We shall pass.
       >) I shall be much obliged to  you.
       >) We shall sing and dance together.

282. Shall in the Second and third persons is used to denote :--

(1) A promise;as,
     >) You shall have a holiday tomorrow.
     >) You shall have a medal if you win.
     >) He shall be rewarded if he stands first in English.

(2) A command;as,
    >) Thou shalt not steal.[=Thou art commanded not to steal.]
    >) He shall go[=He is commanded to go]
    >) Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

(3) A threat;as,
    >) If you do this,you shall be dismissed.
    >) He shall be punsihed if he does that again.

(4) Determination;as,
    >) You shall go there.[=You will be obliged to go there]
    >) He shall obey me. [=he will be obliged to obey me]
    >) You shall apologize for that.

(5) Compulsion;as
    >) You shall come to school at ten.
    >) Members shall pay their  fees by the 10th of every month.

283. In Interrogative Sentences :--

(1) Shall indicates simple futurity,permission or desire of the person spoken to
      in the First Person;as,
      >) Shall I be wasting in despair?(Simple futurity)
      >) Shall I open the window?[=DO you wish me to open the window?]
      >) Shall we go out?[=Do you permit us to go out?]
      >) Shall I thread the needle for you?
          [=Do you want me to thread the needle for you?]
      >) Shall we carry the box into the house for you?

(2) Shall indicates simple futurity in the Second Person;as,
      >) Shall you go there?(Simple futurity)

(3) Shall expresses the command or desire of the person spoken to in the Third
      Person;as,
     >) Shall he go?[=Do you wish or command him to go?]
     >) Shall the porter carry your box upstairs?
         [=Do you want.or would you like,the porter to carry your box upstairs?]
     >) Shall the messenger wait?[=Do you want the messenger to wait?]

                    *) USES OF WILL

284. In Assertive Sentences,Will in the Second and Third Persons indicates simple
        futurity,without any reference to the wish of the agent;as,

        >) He will win the first prize.
        >) You will be able to do it in no time.
        >) Anyone will tell you the way to the Taj,if you ask.

285. Will in the First Person is used to denote :--

(1) Determination;as,
      >) I will do as I like.[=I am determined to do as I like.]
      >) We will not submit.[=We are determined not to submit.]
      >) I will succeed or die in the attempt.

(2) A promise;as,
     >) I will help you.[=I promise to help you.]
     >) I will behave better next time.[=I promise to behave better next time.]

(3) A threat;as,
     >) I will expose her.[=I threaten to expose her.]
     >) I will punish you if you don't behave yourself.
     >) I will dismiss you if you come late again.

(4) A wish;as,
    >) I will go home.[=It denotes wish on the part of the speaker.]
    >) I will visit the Taj.[=I wish to visit the Taj.]

(5) Willingness;as,
    >) I will lend you my pen.[=I am willing to lend you my pen.]
    >) Well,I will do this for her sake.

286. In Interrogative Sentences:--
   
       1. Will is not used at all in the First Person.Never say,Will I?Will we?
       2. Will denotes willingness,intention or wish of the person spoken to
           in the Second Person;as,
           >) Will you sing at the concert tomorrow evening?Yes,I will.
           >) Will you go there?[=Do you intend to go there?]
           >) Will you speak to her?[=Do you wish to speak to her?]

      3. Will denotes simple futurity in the Third Person;as,
          >) Will he come to-day?Will they help us?

      4. The most usual form of request is that introduced by Will you?
          >) Will you be back by 10 o'clock?

                     *) CORRECT USAGE

287. Mark the force of shall and will in the following sentences :--

1.)  You shall be rewarded.[=I am resolved to have you rewarded.]
2.)  He shall be rewarded. [=I am resolved to have him rewarded.]
3.)  I will not be able to go to office today.
      [ This is incorrect,for it expresses the determination or will of the
        speaker.Use 'shall' instead of 'will'.]
4.) I will be happy to do so.
     [ 'Happy' here implies 'willingness', and to say' I will be happy' is
       like saying,'I will be willing'.This  is absurd.Say,therefore,
       'I shall be happy.']
5.) I will have much pleasure in accepting your kind invitation.
     [ The sentence as it stands implies an effort or will on the part of the
       speaker to feel pleasure.This is absurd .Say'I shall have....']

6.) Will you kindly lend me your pen?
      [Here 'will' is used interrogatively in a polite form of request.]

7.) I shall be obliged if you lend me five rupees.
     [Shall is used  to express a polite form of request.]

Exercise 86. Fill up the blanks with Shall or Will.If in a sentence,both can be
                     inserted,explain the difference in meaning :--

1.) We------be happy to see you.
2.) He----never make that mistake again.
3.) You-----succeed,if you try.
4.) I---punish Mohan id he does that again.
5.) I-----succeed or die in the attempt.
6.) Thou---not steal.
7.) 'Villain', said the Emperor,'you-----die'.
8.) Tomorrow we-----have a holiday.
9.) Thou----love thy neighbour as thyself.
10.)I------call at your house tomorrow.
11.) I-----be obliged to dismiss him.
12.) I fear,I------be late for the meeting.
13.) You----be punished for having done all this.
14.) I---never go there.
15.) I----try to do better next time.
16.) -----we play tennis if it rains?
17.) ------you lend me your book?
18.) You----have a reward for your trouble.
19.) We----have our way.
20.) What----we do today?We----go out on the river.
21.) He who wastes not,------never want.
22.) Never,never------we have such a kind king again.
23.) As you wish it,I----go there.
24.) -----you come and dine with me on saturday?
25.) Alas!I----be drowned and nobody---save me.
26.) I------avenge her.

           *) USES OF SHOULD

288. Should,the past form of shall,is used :--

(1) To express duty or obligation in all persons;as,
      >) We should help the poor.
      >) We should obey the laws of the country.
      >) You should control your temper.
      >) You should keep your promise.
      >) You should do your duty cheerfully.
      >) We should love our neighbours.
      >) You should come to school in time.
      >) You shouldn't quarrel with your friend.
      >) He should not be allowed to neglect his studies.
      >) Children should obet their parents.

NOTE:---Duty in the past is expressed by should have;as,

     >) I should have attended the meeting yesterday,but I forgot all about it.
     >) You should have paid the money long ago.
     >) He should have used the money for paying his debts instead of for a
          new scooter.

(2) When giving or asking advice;as,
      >) You shouldn't laugh at her msitakes.
      >) How much should I contribute towards the relief fund?
      >) Do you think she should apologize?
      >) You shouldn't give the child a knife to play with.

(3) To indicate disapproval of something that was done in the past;as,
     >) You shouldn't have laughed at her mistakes.
     >) She shouldn't have given the child a knife to play with.

(4) The express supposition,possibility,condition;as,
     >) If it should rain,the school will remain closed.
     >) Should danger come,we shall be prepared to meet it.
     >) You will never learn it,though you should try your best.
     >) If your parents disapprove of the plan,you should give it up.

(5) To express purpose and result in the clauses introduced by in order that
      and so that;as,
     >) We put up a fence so that our neighbours should not overlook us.
     >) Twenty copies of the book were bought so that each girl in the class
          should have one.
     >) We did it carefully so that none should see it.
     >) I did it in order that all should be satisfied.

(6) After lest to express a negative purpose;as,
     >) Take heed lest you should fail.
     >) They shot the tiger lest he should escape.
     >) He ran fast lest he should miss the train.

(7) In dependent clauses after verbs and phrases indicating determination or
     willingness ,threats,orders or promises;as,
     >) I promised my brother that he should have a new pen.
     >) I have ordered that he should(shouldn't) play today.
     >) The officer gave orders that we should be will looked after.
     >) Is your father willing that you should go abroad?

                *) USED OF WOULD

289. Would,the past form of will,is used :--

(1) To express a wish;as,
     >) I would know what my duty is.
     >) A man cannot always do what he would.
     >) Do as you would be done by.
     >) I would like to see that book.
     >) Would you like to come to the library with me?

(2) To indicate refusal;as,
     >) She wouldn't(-refused to) answer any questions.
     >) The engine wouldn't start.
     >) The wound wouldn't heal.

(3) To express determination;as,
     >) He would have his own way.
         [=He was determined to have his own way.]
     >) He would not lie.

(4) To express past habit;as,
     >) She would sit[=was in the habit of sitting] for hours in her garden
         and knit.
     >) After lunch he would generally have a short nap.
     >) He would talk upon the subject for hours together.

(5) To express willingness in the past;as,
     >) She said that she would help me.
     >) I would do as you bid.

(6) In polite speech;as,
     >) Would you please lend me your book?[=Please lend me your book.]
     >) Would you mind waiting here until I return?
     >) Would you mind helping me to lift the box?
     >) Would you mind not smoking in the dining-room,please?
     >) Would you mind if I shut the window?

(7) To denote condition or uncertainty;as,
     >) If he should hear of your marriage,he would be surprised.
     >) He wouldn't do it unless you were to order him to do it.
     >) Even if you were to try,you wouldn't be able to defeat him.
     >) If you were to start early tomorrow morning,you would reach there
         before sunrise.
     >) Had she met me,I would have told her everything.
     >) I would go there,if I were allowed.

                   *) OUGHT TO

290. Ought is used to express desirability,moral obligation and duties.Ought is a
        defective verb.It can indicate present or future time.It takes an Infinitive as
        Object;as,

       1. We ought to love our neighbours.
           [=It is our duty to love our neighbours.]
       2. We ought to work hard.
       3. I ought to visit my sister tomorrow.
       4. You ought to get better marks.
       5. You ought to help your poor friends.
       6. He ought to be ashamed of his rude behaviour.
       7. Everybody ought to love his country.
       8. We ought not to walk on the grass.
       9. We ought not to abuse a beggar.
     10. We ought not to make a noise in the class.
     11. Ought we to go there?yes ,I think you ought (to).
     12. I told her that she ought to do it,so she did it.
   
291. Ought to have with a Past Participle is used to indicate a Past obligation
        that was not fulfilled or carried out.

     1. You ought to have helped her(but you did not).
     2. He ought to have been more careful.(He was not careful enough.)
     3. He ought to have obeyed her husband.(It was her duty to obey her husband.)
     4. He ought to have worked hard.
     5. I ought to have visited my sister yesterday.

292. Ought not to have is used to indicate disapproval of something that was
        in the past.
     >) You ought not to have laughed at her mistakes.
     >) She ought not to have treated  her husband like that.

Exercise 87. Fill in the blanks with ought,should have,must or may :--

   1. They------to do their lessons every day.
   2. ---------I open the window?
   3. ---------we play in the garden?
   4. We-----not to walk on the grass.
   5. I am working hard now so that I-----pass this year.
   6. We-----to help the poor people.
   7. We------not split on the poor.
   8. You------not make a noise in the class.
   9. I------to have visited my sister yesterday.
 10. They------to work hard for a living.
 11. You-------keep your promise.
 12. Little children------be careful when crossing the road.
 13. You------take exercise daily.

                     *) NEED

293. When need=stand in need of,require,it has Third Person Singular Present
        Tense needs.

       1. I need to work harder.
       2. I need a holiday.
       3. We need many things for our journey.
       4. She needs a little rest.
       5. He doesn't need new shoes.
       6. Does she need a new frock.
       7. It needs to be done with great care.
       8. The work needs time and patience.
       9. The blind man needs somebody to help him across the road.
     10. These socks need to be darned (need darning).
     11. Do you need to work so hard?
     12. He doesn't need to work so hard,does he?
           [ Here the meaning is'be obliged','be compelled'.]

294. The anomalous finite need is not used in the affirmative.It is used only in the
        negative and interrogative.It forms its Third Person Singular,Present Tense,
        without s,and takes as its Object an Infinitive without to;as,

     1. He need not copy out the whole page.
     2. She need not come here tomorrow.
     3. He need not worry at all about us.
     4. She need not write all of them,but she must write the last two.
     5. Need he work so hard?
     6. He needn't work so hard,need he?
     7. Need she apologize to him?

NOTE:- The regular verb can be used in the Past Tense with a to-infinitive.
           >) They didn't need to hurry.[=It was not necessary for them to hurry.]

                     *) HAVE TO

295. Have to is used to indicate obligation.
       >) He have to be (=is obliged to be) there at ten.
       >) At what time do you have to be in the office every day?
       >) I have to be (=have got to be ) in the office at nine  instead of at ten
            tomorrow.
       >) We don't have to go to school on saturdays.
       >) They have to work hard for a living.
       >) I have to attend her wedding.

296. Study carefully this table :--

                           { must                    be back by six o'clock.
                           { have to               

                           { needn't                send her a message.
                           { haven't(got) to
                           { don't have to       explain the reasons for our failure.

       We               { can                      tell everyone what happened.
                           { could                   play the match this week.


                           { may                     finish the work quickly
                           { might

                           { should                  go to Kashmir next summer.
                           { ought to

Exercise 88. Supply suitable verbs in the sentences below.Choose from:
        must,needn't,can,could,may,might,ought to,should.

1. She-----speak English when she was hardly five years old.
2. Soldiers------always obey their officers.
3. You-----worry,she wont't get lost.
4. Visitors------not pass beyond this point.
5. He is so strong that he-----bend an iron bar with his bare hands.
6. It----,but I don't think it will.
7. They-----be able to help if you asked them.
8. '-----I come in?' 'Yes,of course you------'.
9. She said she-----finish painting the picture in about two weeks.
10.The world------avoid war if the human race is to survive.
11. A teacher-------make his or her lessons interesting.
12. Pran has brought his car,so you------ring for a taxi.
13. I-----smell something  burning in the kitchen.It----be the meat in the oven.
14. '------you tell me the time.please?' 'yes,it's half past ten.'
15. Criminals-----be punished.
16. You essay is full of mistakes.You------be more careful.You----- do much
      better if you tried harder.
17. 'She-----not play tennis last year beacuse she met with an accident'.
      '-----she play now?''Yes,she------,but the doctor says she-----not'.
18. 'The sun is shining now,so we----take an umbrealla'.'I think we----;it----
       rain later this afternoon'.
19. 'I-----take her in my car if I had more time'.'You-----worry;she-----find
       a taxi quite easily.'
20. She---speak French very well now,but she-----not speak it at all last
       year when we met her.

                       *) USED TO
297. Used is anomalous.It has the negative usedn't and the interrogative
        used we(he,she,etc.) In tag-questions and responses,however,did
        often replaces used.

       1. There used to be a building here before the war.
       2. She used to play chess before her marriage.
       3. People used to think that the sun travelled round the earth.
       4. Life is not so hard as it used to be.
       5. We used to enjoy their pleasant company.
       6. They used to go swimming every morning.
       7. She used to go to the temple every morning.
       8. I used not to smoke;I took it up only a year ago.
       9. You used to smoke a pipe,usedn't you?

But didn't use to is also found ;as,
      >) I think I know that man.Didn't he use to keep a car?

298. Used to = be accustomed to ;as,

      1.) He's not used to hard manual labour.
      2.) I'm not used to a hot climate.
      3.) I am not used to this kind of treatment.
      4.) I am not used to walking long distances.
      5.) They soon got used to living in the country.
      6.) I am not used to drinking tea without any sugar in it.

                  *) DARE

299. Note the following used of the verb 'dare':--

(1) Present Tense :

     >) I dare to declare that what she says is not true.
     >) I never dare to say things like that,do I?
     >) I am surprised that he dares to play jokes on the Headmaster.
     >) He does not dare to refuse what you ask.
     >) Does she dare to jump out of the window?
     >) He doesn't dare to ring her up again,does he?No,he doesn't.

(2) The verb dare(=venture,have courage) has the form dare for the Third
      Person Singular,Present Tense,when it is followed by a Negative;as

     >) he dare not take such a foolish step.
     >) He dare not oppose us.
     >) He dare not punish the child.  
     >) He dare not ask her again,dare he?No, he dare not.
     >) She dare not go out alone on a dark night.

(3) Past Tense;
   
    >) They dared not say such things again.
    >) The roads were covered with ice yesterday.They dared not take
         their car out.
    >) They were afraid of an accident.They dared not go very fast.

(4) Integrative Sentences :

    >) How dare you ride a cycle without brakes?
    >) How dare you speak against your teacher?
    >) How dare you insult your mother like that?
   
Exercise 89. Fill in the missing forms of dare :--

  1. He did not-----to wander in the streets at night.
  2. They-----not sleep in the open in winter,------they?
  3. ----your sister touch a snake?
  4. Sometimes he----to climb up a tree to get a bird's eggs,-----he?
  5. -------I ask you to lend me ten rupees?  
  6. How -----you ride a cycle without brakes?
  7. He-----not ask you again,-----he?No,he-----not.
  8. They-------not drive very fast,------they?
  9. She-----not disobey her husband.
10. The dog barked so loudly that we------not approach it.

Exercise 90. Rewrite each of these sentences,using used to,as shown :--

EXAMPLE:   She was in the habit of drinking coffee after meals.
                     She used to drink coffee after meals.

    1. She was in the habit of drinking coffee after meals.
    2. He was in the habit of scratching his head when he was puzzled.
    3. She was in the habit of smoking before her marriage,but now she
        doesn't.
    4. He was in the habit of playing chess before his appointment as governor.
    5. She was in the habit of singing and dancing before going to bed every time.
    6. She was in the habit of going to the temple daily before her marriage.
    7. He is quite accustomed to hard work.
    8. I'm not accustomed to being spoken to in that rude way.

11 comments:

  1. its wonderful
    and is of great use for starters who have difficulties
    and try to make a separate page in your blog where this information is available in brief....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your appreciation and suggestion, we will definetly sort out this so soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. Keep going. Do share as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the misspelt 'grammer' in the url...intentional! (casually)...Really appreciate the knowledge sharing here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What should be in this .......... You stand on your head ( fill it with the appropriate modals)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey friends plz fill the modal
    You ...... Go out in cold lest you'll have fever again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plz see this and give the answer
    Delhi metro is great.you......ride sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you will never see any more of him use modal auxiliary of possibility

    ReplyDelete